2018-19 proposed budget submitted to county board
On Aug. 8, Ramsey County Manager Julie Kleinschmidt proposed to the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners a biennial budget of $704 million for 2018 and $723 million for 2019. This represents a 1.9 percent increase of $12.8 million in 2018 and a 2.8 percent increase of $19.5 million in 2019.
About $287 million (42 percent) of the county’s budget is funded through property taxes. The 2018 - 2019 budget proposal calls for an increase in Ramsey County’s property tax levy of 4.3 percent in each year, totaling $12.7 million in 2018 and $13.3 million in 2019.
Property taxes are calculated and levied based on properties’ market values. In the proposed 2018 budget, the owner of a median-valued single family home in Saint Paul ($161,400) would pay an additional $42 per year in county taxes on a projected property value increase of $12,500. In Ramsey County’s suburbs, the owner of a median-valued single family home ($221,900) would pay an additional $33 per year on an estimated property value increase of $13,000.
Learn more about the property tax system in this short video from the League of Minnesota Cities.
Funding for a number of new and expanded initiatives are proposed in 2018 and 2019:
- Redirect individuals with mental health conditions from the criminal justice system with aligned services that improve outcomes and reduce long-term costs.
- Reduce homelessness through funding for a cross-sector effort to transition long-term shelter users to permanent housing.
- Expand funding for sexual assault prevention.
- Expand community engagement and racial equity through staff support and training resources.
- Expand early and absentee voting sites and technology.
- Expand county road and bridge construction and maintenance projects.
Detailed budget documents are available at ramseycounty.us/budget.
Next steps and public hearings
The Ramsey County Board of Commissioners will adopt a maximum tax levy on September 26 and is scheduled to vote on a final budget December 12, 2017.
- Sept.12, 1 p.m. Saint Paul City Hall – Ramsey County Courthouse.
- Nov. 27. 6:30 p.m. Ramsey County Library – Shoreview.