COVID-19 updates: Free vaccine clinics
April 2022 is Tech Month
In April, we draw attention to the important role that the technology industry plays as a key driver of growth in our state and local economy. Minnesota’s Department of Employment and Economic Development projects high demand for IT professionals in our state through 2028, and beyond.
Explore the resources and events below to learn more about the wide range of opportunities in tech.
Job seeker resources:
- Tech jobs on Job Connect.
- Tech trainings.
- Ramsey Connected - an initiative to ensure Ramsey County residents have access to low-cost internet and computers, and the skills to use them.
- Drop-in computer and tech help at Ramsey County Library.
- Snapshot: The Technology Industry
Events and workshops:
- Tech Talk: Game Toward Your Future - April 12, 6–7:30 p.m.
A youth-focused event with a panel of industry experts showing how gaming can be a pathway to employment in the tech industry. This event is sponsored by the Workforce Innovation Board of Ramsey County and the Saint Paul Public Library.
- Job Club - April 18, 1–2:30 p.m.
Guest speaker Christy Larson from Prime Digital Academy.
- Tech Futures Virtual Event - April 22, 8:30–10 a.m.
This future-forward workshop is for workforce professionals, employers, education and training institutions. Connect and learn about the latest in the tech ecosystem from local experts. This event is presented in partnership with Full Stack Saint Paul, Ramsey County, the St. Paul Area Chamber and the Workforce Innovation Board of Ramsey County.
- Tech Talk: Future Tech Entrepreneurs and Community Wealth Building - April 28, 12:30–1:15 p.m.
A free virtual panel discussion providing information for employers and entrepreneurs on how to use technology to build a better future. This event is being sponsored by the WIB’s Tech Committee and Full Stack Saint Paul.
- Createch - Creative spaces for teens at Saint Paul Public Library. For ages 12-18. Visit the Saint Paul Public Library calendar for dates and times.
Tech employment facts:
- 12,288 people are employed in IT careers in Ramsey County; 6,117 people are employed in IT careers in Saint Paul alone.
- Saint Paul’s estimated local unemployment rate for IT talent is just 1.9%, or 1.8% across all of Ramsey County.
- The average wage in Ramsey County for IT positions of all experience levels is about $95,500 (2020 estimate).
- 36% of all IT positions advertised online in the past year were for remote work positions, compared to 18% across all jobs advertised.
- Ramsey County has one of the most diverse IT workforces in Minnesota, with 27.4% being Asian. However, Black, American Indian, and Hispanic/Latinx talent is significantly underrepresented in IT roles.