Information on Ballot Error for House District 67A
Due to a clerical error, Ramsey County issued absentee ballots incorrectly listing a deceased candidate as the Republican Party candidate for Minnesota House of Representatives District 67A. The issue involves all ballots for the 11 precincts in Ramsey County located in District 67A. The issue was identified after absentee voting began. Ballots erroneously list Beverly Peterson as the Republican Party candidate for House District 67A instead of Scott Hesselgrave.
To correct this issue, Ramsey County will provide new, corrected ballots in affected precincts. In Minnesota, any voter who casts an absentee ballot can replace their ballot with a new one up until one week before Election Day.
All ballots for absentee and in-person voting issued after October 3 will list the correct candidates. Before the corrected ballots began being issued, 1,198 absentee ballots with the error were sent to voters.
Information for voters
- Lea o escuche la información para los votantes en español
- Akhriso ama dhegayso macluumaadka loogu tala galay codbixiyeyaasha oo ku baxaya luuqadda Soomaaliga
- Nyeem los yog mloog cov lus qhia rau cov neeg xaiv tsa hauv lus Hmoob
- Odeeffannoo filattootaa afaan Oromootiin dubbisaa ykn dhaggeeffadhaa
- ၢ်ဂ့ၢ်တၢ်ကျိၤဘၣ်ဃး တၢ်ဖးလံာ်က့အကမၣ်လၢ House District 67A အဂီၢ်
Following a determination from the Minnesota Supreme Court, Ramsey County will provide corrected replacement ballots to all voters. Below are the options for voters who have received an incorrect ballot.
If you would like to review this information in a language other than English, please call 651-266-2171. Information in multiple languages will be available in the coming days.
If you haven't requested an absentee ballot yet
The replacement ballots available after October 3 will correctly list the eligible Republican Party candidate for House District 67A. You can request an absentee ballot, and your vote will not be impacted by this error.
If you received an incorrect ballot, but haven’t voted yet
Please discard the incorrect ballot, and you will automatically be sent a replacement. The replacement ballot will list the correct Republican Party candidate for House District 67A, Scott Hesselgrave.
If you’ve already returned the incorrect ballot
Voters who have received the incorrect ballot and already voted have several options to ensure their vote is counted and accurate.
- Option 1: You may choose to spoil your original ballot by calling the Ramsey County Elections Office at 651-266-2171 and informing elections staff you would like a replacement ballot. A replacement ballot with the correct names for the candidates for District 67A, as well as all other offices on the ballot, will then be issued to you. The original ballot will not be counted. You will then be able to re-vote for all of the offices on the ballot with the replacement ballot. The replacement ballot will be counted.
- Option 2: If you choose not to spoil your ballot and you voted for the deceased candidate, then your vote for District 67A will not count because the candidate is not eligible for office. Your choice for any other offices on your original ballot will be copied onto a replacement ballot and will be counted. In such a circumstance, all of your original votes will be counted except for the vote for District 67A. Any ballot needing to be duplicated will be duplicated by two judges of different major political parties, as required by law.
- Option 3: If you choose not to spoil your ballot and you voted for someone other than the deceased candidate for 67A, then your vote for District 67A will count because the original vote is for a candidate who is still eligible to hold office. In such a circumstance, all of your selections for each office on the ballot, including District 67A, will be copied onto a replacement ballot and will be counted. Any ballot needing to be duplicated will be duplicated by two judges of different major political parties, as required by law.