Breastfeeding Promotion & Support
Breastfeeding is the natural and healthy way for mothers to feed their babies and provides the best source of nutrition in most cases to infants. Breast milk has health benefits for mom, too. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months for optimal growth and development and breastfeeding up to at least a year.
Benefits to baby:
- Easy digestion, less diarrhea and constipation, breast milk is easy to digest.
- Lots of bonding with mom.
- Less likely to have asthma.
- Less ear infections and respiratory infections.
- Less likely to have Type 2 Diabetes.
- Less likely to become obese.
- Lower risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Benefits to mom:
- Helps with weight loss.
- Lower risk of ovarian and breast cancer, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Breastfed babies are easy to take on trips. Just grab the diapers and go!
- Breastfeeding saves money (no formula or bottle costs, fewer doctor bills and medication costs).
- Ready to breastfeed anywhere, don’t need to make and wash bottles.
Breastfeeding is wonderful, but not always easy. Learning what to expect ahead of time and get support from a lactation professional. Check out the Ramsey County Breastfeeding Resource Guide for classes, drop in support groups, childbirth education, Doulas and clinic and hospital lactation services.