Garden Funding Opportunity
Saint Paul – Ramsey County Public Health (SPRCPH), is working on a Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) initiative to create policy, system and/or environmental change to address preventable diseases. Urban agriculture and community gardens can address this by:
- Promoting healthy eating and active living.
- Providing access to healthy foods.
- Increasing access to locally grown foods for priority populations, including racial, ethnic and cultural communities.
- Increasing the number of gardens and community-based agriculture projects.
- Increasing physical activity.
Through SHIP, SPRCPH will fund several small awards to support new or existing community gardens within Ramsey County. A total of $10,000 is available, multiple projects will be awarded. Partnership among organizations is encouraged. The funds must be spent by October 31, 2020. Because we are offering this opportunity late in the current growing season, the funds may be used in preparation for the 2021 season.
If you are using land that you/your agency does not own, you must include a letter from the landowner with your application stating that you have access to that land for more than one season.
What will be funded
- Allowable expenses include staff time, supplies (i.e. shed, tools, dirt, remediation, benches, lumber, seeds, etc.).
- Items that are not allowed: labor, education, one-time events.
- Priority Deadline: August 10, 2020.
- Applications will be accepted until September 1, 2020.
- Proposals will be reviewed and evaluated immediately following the first deadline and will continue until all the funds are expended.
Please contact SHIP@ramseycounty.us with questions.
- Responses longer than the indicated number of words may not be reviewed for funding.
- Please email landowner permission statement (if applicable) and budget to SHIP@ramseycounty.us.