Guarded Swimming Beaches
Service alert - COVID-19
Beaches will remain closed until further notice to help slow the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of the community. Parks & Recreation and Public Health will continue to monitor guidelines and best practices to determine if and when beaches can reopen this season.
During the summer, it’s time to hit the beach at one of Ramsey County's six guarded swimming beaches.
Hours and season
Beach season is May 25 - Labor Day.
Beach hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes past sunset.
From June 8 - Aug. 18, lifeguards will be on duty daily from noon - 8 p.m. Lifeguard service hours may vary due to poor weather or low attendance.
- Tony Schmidt Regional Park
- Lake Josephine County Park
- Long Lake Regional Park
- Lake McCarrons County Park
- Vadnais-Snail Lakes Regional Park
- White Bear Lake County Park
Concessions stands are available at Long Lake beach.
Group beach use
Groups looking to organize an event at a Ramsey County beach must secure a Reservation Permit (PDF). Requests must be made at least two weeks prior to the event date and are available on a first-come, first served basis.
Group beach use is only available at guarded beach locations.
- Swimming is permitted at designated beach areas only.
- Proper swimming attire is required.
- Glass bottles or containers are prohibited.
- Grilling is not permitted in the beach area.
- Only U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets are allowed, and must be properly worn. No inflatables or buoyant objects.
- Pets are not allowed in the beach areas.
Beach water quality
Ramsey County regularly tests beaches for water quality during beach season, from June through August each year. Learn more about the most commonly tested for contaminant - E. coli.