Partners in Energy Initiative
In 2016 Ramsey County Parks & Recreation created an eight-member energy action team that worked with Xcel Energy’s Partners in Energy to create an energy action plan for the department. The team used energy data from across the department to set goals and create a framework to launch the "Green Spaces, Green Places" energy initiative. The two-year collaboration will help Parks & Recreation achieve its energy objectives.
Green Spaces, Green Places Initiative
Three specific goal areas were identified during the action team's meetings, centered around energy efficiency and conservation, renewable energy and education and outreach. Specific goals include:
- Reduce energy use by 35% at all Parks & Recreation facilities by 2025.
- Use 100% renewable energy at county park facilities by 2025.
- Increase awareness of renewable and energy efficient projects as part of the initiative.
- Engage each member of Parks & Recreation staff in the initiative.
Within each goal, Parks & Recreation will work in the following areas to achieve our energy goals:
- Improve energy efficiency in ice arenas.
- Improve energy efficiency at golf courses and all other department facilities.
- Develop a plan to increase use of renewable energy.
- Plan for all future department facilities to be net-zero buildings.
- Engage department staff in energy conservation.
- Engage children and youth in energy conservation at Tamarack Nature Center.
- Recruit all recreational users to help us save energy.
- Educate the public about renewable energy and energy conservation.
Full details about the program and updates throughout the two-year collaboration will be shared on this page.