I-694/Rice Street Interchange
The interchange at I-694 and Rice Street adjacent to the communities of Shoreview, Little Canada and Vadnais Heights was reconstructed in 2019 and 2020.
The $22.9 million project was designed to:
- Improve traffic flow along Rice Street through the interchange area.
- Prioritize pedestrians and bicyclists to ensure all users can travel safety through the interchange.
- Improve economic development opportunities in underutilized sites near the area.
The project is now complete.
Work began in March 2019 and involved three phases:
- Phase one: Rebuild the southbound side of the Rice Street bridge and build the new eastbound off-ramp from I-694 and westbound on-ramp from Rice Street. - complete
- Phase two: Rebuild the northbound side of the Rice Street bridge and build the new westbound off-ramp to I-694. – complete
- Phase three: Build the new eastbound on-ramp to I-694. – complete
Detours and closures
The interchange is fully open to traffic. All lanes on Rice Street are open. All I-694 entrance and exit ramps are open.