I-694/Rice Street Interchange
The interchange at I-694 and Rice Street adjacent to the communities of Shoreview, Little Canada and Vadnais Heights is being reconstructed in 2019 and 2020.
Once complete, this multi-year, $22.9 million project will:
- Improve traffic flow along Rice Street through the interchange area.
- Prioritize pedestrians and bicyclists to ensure all users can travel safety through the interchange.
- Improve economic development opportunities in underutilized sites near the area.
Construction activities will resume for the 2020 season the week of Feb. 17. Work will focus on the Rice Street bridge and the eastbound on-ramp bridge to I-694. This work is not expected to cause any additional traffic changes or disruptions; the current traffic lanes will remain in place.
Work on the project began in March 2019 and will involve three phases:
- Phase one: Rebuild the southbound side of the Rice Street bridge and build the new eastbound off-ramp from I-694 and westbound on-ramp from Rice Street. - complete
- Phase two: Rebuild the northbound side of the Rice Street bridge and build the new westbound off-ramp to I-694. – current phase
- Phase three: Build the new eastbound on-ramp to I-694. – will be complete in 2020.
The project is expected to be complete in late 2020.
Detours and closures
Beginning of tab section with 2 tabs. Left and right arrow keys will navigate between tab navigation links.
There will be occasional lane closures on I-694 during non-peak traffic hours throughout the project.
I-694 overnight lane closures June 3-5
Overnight lane closures will be in place on east and westbound I-694 between Victoria Street and I-35E June 3, 4 and 5 for bridge work. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction. The lane closures will begin at 9 p.m. and end by 5 a.m.
Eastbound I-694 ramp from Rice Street
The eastbound I-694 entrance ramp from Rice Street is closed. The ramp will remain closed through summer 2020.
Traffic is detoured via westbound I-694 to Victoria Street, then eastbound on I-694.
The westbound I-694 exit ramp to Rice Street, eastbound I-694 exit ramp to Rice Street and westbound I-694 entrance ramp from Rice Street are open.
Due to the cold and wet weather conditions in fall 2019, we were not able to complete concrete paving on the westbound I-694 exit ramp to Rice Street. The ramp has been temporarily paved with bituminous to allow us to open the ramp to traffic throughout the winter. We will need to close the ramp for a short period in summer 2020 – likely a few weeks – to install the concrete pavement.
Construction is underway on the segment of Rice Street south of the bridge over I-694. Crews are working on utility connections at the interchange and the roadway connection to Country Drive. Please follow all posted signs to navigate the construction area.
All traffic from North Owasso Boulevard to Vadnais Boulevard is shifted to the west half of the road with one lane open in each direction. The east half of Rice Street is closed for construction.
The stop light at Vadnais Lake Boulevard and Rice Street is an all-way stop.
Eastbound Vadnais Boulevard closed May 26 - early June
Eastbound Vadnais Boulevard will be closed at the Rice Street intersection beginning Tuesday, May 26 for paving. A signed detour will be in place using Rice Street, County Road F and Centerville Road. The closure is expected to last one week.
Vadnais Boulevard/County Road E
- The intersection at Rice Street and Vadnais Boulevard is an all-way stop.
- Work is underway to reconstruct County Road E (Grass Lake Place). The road is open to traffic with one lane in each direction.
Country Drive/North Owasso Boulevard
There is an all-way stop at the intersection of Rice Street, North Owasso Boulevard and Country Drive.
County Drive is closed between Spruce Street and Rice Street. The closure is expected to last until late June. A signed detour is in place using Rice Street and South Owasso Boulevard.