Statement of Net Position
The Statement of Net Position presents financial information on all of the county's capital and current assets, minus the current liabilities and long-term debt. The resulting amount is stated as "net position."
Total current and other assets
|Total non-current assets||$882,924,464||$902,314,881||$877,378,313||$859,297,510||$842,598,276|
|Total current and other liabilities||$306,414,893||$202,160.133||$142,162,743||$121,060,738||$116,291,713|
|Total non-current liabilities||$549,655,167||$612,109,474||$746,516,944||$535,901,911||$336,241,048|
|Net investment in capital assets||$688,573,631||$684,577,172||$654,540,159||$649,693,002||$624,056,790|
|Total net position||$729,434,727||**$623,518,206||$785,610,172||***$797,815,502||*$788,006,950|
*Due to required implementation of GASB 68, the 2014 ending net position was restated. Please see 2015 CAFR (PDF) for more information.
**Due to required implementation of GASB 75 related to other post-employment benefits and an error in accumulated depreciation, the 2017 ending net position was restated. Please see 2018 CAFR (PDF) for more information.
***Due to a restatement for capital assets transferred to the fleet fund, the 2016 ending net position was restated.
Assets and liabilities
- Total assets increased 12.6% over the past five years, primarily due to the increase in current and other assets over this period.
- Total liabilities increased 89% over the past five years, due largely to change in disclosure policies related to pension liabilities and other post-employment benefits.
Net investments in capital assets
- Capital assets increased 10.3% over the past five years.
- Infrastructure and construction in-progress was the key driver of the increase in capital assets.
- Capital assets: The county's land, building, equipment, improvements, infrastructure and construction in process, net of accumulated depreciation.
- Net position: The difference between assets and liabilities, of which may or may not be available for future spending.
- Net investment in capital assets: Represents the county's investment in its capital assets less accumulated depreciation and any outstanding debt attributable to the acquisition, construction or improvement of these assets.
- Unrestricted net position: Represents the difference between assets and liabilities not restricted for use.