Permit to Carry Application Process
As established by the Minnesota Citizens' Personal Protection Act of 2003, permit to carry applicants must be:
- United States citizens.
- 21 years of age or older.
- Residents of Ramsey County (or residents of another state).
- In compliance with statutory requirements.
In addition, applicants must complete a Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) approved training course and appear in person to submit their permit to carry application. The BCA maintains a list of business organizations approved to train instructors - enter an address or zip code for the most accurate results.
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form.
- The original certificate of completed authorized training, and a legible copy. Training must be completed within one year prior to the date of the application.
- A current driver’s license, state identification card or photo page of a passport and a legible COLOR copy.
- Proof of residency via driver’s license or two pieces of official mail received at residence. The driver‘s license must be in compliance with §171.11 and reflect the applicant’s current address.
Applicants must bring their actual valid driver’s license, ID or passport and certificate of training so that the Sheriff's Office staff can verify the accuracy of submitted photocopies.
An application fee of $89 will be charged at the time a completed application is submitted. The application fee is payable by cash, check or credit card.
Applications can be submitted Monday through Friday (except holidays) between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The Gun Permit Unit is located on the first floor of the Law Enforcement Center, 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101.
Please make certain that your application is accurately completed prior to submission. Please wait to sign and date the application until you present it in person.
The Gun Permit Unit will mail your permit or explanation of denial within 30 days. During the application review process the Gun Permit Office is prohibited by state law to discuss the application with the applicant.