Permit to Carry Application Process
Permit to Carry Applications are accepted by appointment only. All appointments must be made online at https://ramseycountysheriffsoffice.fullslate.com/ . If you have any questions you can call us 651-266-9670 between 8am and 4pm Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays.
Appointments are only needed for new and renewal permits. No appointment is needed for a data change or lost/stolen card replacement.
As established by the Minnesota Citizens' Personal Protection Act of 2003, permit to carry applicants must be:
- United States citizen or with a current state issued DL/ID AND Permanent Resident Card
- 21 years of age or older.
- Residents of Ramsey County (or residents of another state).
- In compliance with statutory requirements.
In addition, applicants must complete a Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) approved training course and appear in person to submit their permit to carry application. The BCA maintains a list of business organizations approved to train instructors (this page may take some time to load, please give it up to two minutes to appear) - enter an address or zip code for the most accurate results.
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form.
- The original certificate of completed authorized training, and a legible copy. Training must be completed within one year prior to the date of the application.
- A current driver’s license, state identification card or photo page of a passport and a legible COLOR copy.
- Proof of residency via driver’s license or passport. The driver‘s license must be in compliance with §171.11 and reflect the applicant’s current address. If using a passport the applicant must bring in two pieces of official mail received at their residence within the last 30 days.
Applicants must bring their actual valid driver’s license, ID or passport and certificate of training so that the Sheriff's Office staff can verify the accuracy of submitted photocopies. If using a passport applicant must bring in two pieces official mail received at their residence within the last 30 days.
An application fee of $100 will be charged at the time a completed application is submitted. The application fee is payable by cash or credit card. Cashiers checks are accepted as well however no personal checks.
Applications can be submitted Monday through Friday (except holidays) between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. by appointment only. Schedule Appointment
The Gun Permit Unit is located on the first floor of the Law Enforcement Center, 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101.
Please make certain that your application is accurately completed prior to submission. Please wait to sign and date the application until you present it in person.
The Gun Permit Unit will mail your permit or explanation of denial within 30 days. During the application review process the Gun Permit Office is prohibited by state law to discuss the application with the applicant.