Marriage licenses must be requested in person.
- A marriage license must be purchased before getting married and must be used within six months or it will expire.
- A license purchased in Minnesota is valid only in Minnesota and cannot be used in any other state.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a license (without parental consent). Be prepared to present valid identification. If you are under 18 years of age, call 651-266-1333 for further information.
- Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license. If one party cannot be present, they must provide a notarized Supplemental Marriage License Application (PDF) and a completed, notarized Marriage License Application.
- Each applicant must provide: full legal name, address, date and place of birth, telephone numbers and social security numbers (if they have one).
- Each applicant must provide after-marriage name(s) and address.