Dale Street Reconstruction
Dale Street will be reconstructed between Iglehart and University avenues in Saint Paul in 2020. The $14.7 million project includes reconstructing and widening the bridge over Interstate 94. Based upon extensive input from the neighborhood, the new concept:
- Improves safety for all.
- Includes reconfigured through lanes and left turn lanes to accommodate traffic volumes and allow for better traffic flow.
- Widens sidewalks to provide a safer passage for pedestrians and bicyclists in all seasons.
- Features public art that reflects and celebrates the Rondo community.
Pedestrian improvements include enhanced crossings, wider sidewalks and a gentler slope approaching I-94 from University Avenue.
Project partners include the City of Saint Paul and the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The project is identified as a priority in the City of Saint Paul’s Comprehensive Plan.
Construction began in late March 2020. The majority of construction, including the new bridge over I-94, is expected to be complete by late fall.
- Phase one: Rebuild the east (northbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the east side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: March - July 2020.
- Phase two: Rebuild the west (southbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the west side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: July - November 2020.
- Phase three: Reconstruct Dale Street between Iglehart and Carroll avenues.
Estimated timeline: Summer 2021, after school releases for summer break
June 27 - July 3 update
This week the newly-poured bridge deck will be curing and construction work on the bridge itself will be on hold.
Work will focus on the Dale Street roadway to the south and north of the bridge. There will be electricians on site working on wiring for lights and signals. Work on the bridge approach panels is also set to begin.
For the safety of pedestrians and other travelers, please be sure to stop at the intersections in the construction zone and to follow the posted speed limits.
Live camera streams of the construction site are available from two cameras located at the intersection of Dale Street and St. Anthony Avenue.
Detours and closures
Dale Street and the bridge will remain open to two-way traffic throughout 2020.
I-94 ramps closed through late fall
All ramps to and from I-94 at Dale Street are closed to traffic. The ramps are expected to remain closed through late fall.
Motorists should follow the signed detours using Lexington Parkway and University and Selby avenues.
I-94 lane shifts
Lane shifts are in place on I-94 while crews work on the middle support piers for the bridge. The shifts will be in place through fall.
Dale Street lane reductions and access
Dale Street is reduced to one lane in each direction between Carroll Avenue and University Avenue. All traffic is shifted to the west side of the road. Lane reductions will be in place through late fall.
Access is blocked to the Uni-Dale Mall from Dale Street.
Traffic lights at Concorida Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue
The traffic lights at the Dale Street intersections at Concordia Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue have been turned into flashing red signals. Please be sure to stop at the intersections.
Concordia Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue
The following portions of St. Anthony and Concordia avenues are temporarily converted from one-way to two-way streets:
- St. Anthony Avenue between St. Albans Street and Dale Street and between Dale Street and Kent Street.
- Concordia Avenue between St. Albans Street and Dale Street and between Benjamin E. Mays IB World School and Western Avenue.
The St. Anthony Avenue and Concordia Avenue intersections at Dale Street are closed to east-west traffic. The closures will remain in place through late fall.
The east side of the Central Avenue intersection is closed to motorists and pedestrians.