Dale Street Reconstruction
Dale Street will be reconstructed between Iglehart and University avenues in Saint Paul in 2020. The $14.7 million project includes reconstructing and widening the bridge over Interstate 94. Based upon extensive input from the neighborhood, the new concept:
- Improves safety for all.
- Includes reconfigured through lanes and left turn lanes to accommodate traffic volumes and allow for better traffic flow.
- Widens sidewalks to provide a safer passage for pedestrians and bicyclists in all seasons.
- Features public art that reflects and celebrates the Rondo community.
Pedestrian improvements include enhanced crossings, wider sidewalks and a gentler slope approaching I-94 from University Avenue.
Project partners include the City of Saint Paul and the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The project is identified as a priority in the City of Saint Paul’s Comprehensive Plan.
Construction began in late March 2020. The majority of construction, including the new bridge over I-94, is expected to be complete by late fall.
- Phase one: Rebuild the east (northbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the east side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: March - July 2020. - complete
- Phase two: Rebuild the west (southbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the west side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: July - November 2020. - complete
- Phase three: Reconstruct Dale Street between Iglehart and Concordia avenues.
Estimated timeline: Summer 2021, after school releases for summer break.
Nov. 19 update
Construction is substantially complete for 2020.
Barring any unforeseeable circumstances, all traffic restrictions within the project area are expected to be removed by the end of the day on Nov. 19.
Temporary daily lane closures may be in place as crews work on street lighting into mid-December. Final site cleanup and other minor work will also occur over the next few weeks.
Thank you to the Rondo community for sharing your ideas and vision for the new bridge and public art over the past several years. Your input was vital in developing the final design. Thank you for your understanding and patience with road closures and detours throughout the duration of the project.
Live camera streams of the construction site are available from two cameras located at the intersection of Dale Street and St. Anthony Avenue.
Detours and closures
Barring any unforeseeable circumstances, all traffic restrictions within the project area are expected to be removed by the end of the day on Nov. 19:
- All I-94 entrance and exit ramps will reopen to traffic.
- All lanes of the new Dale Street bridge will open to traffic.
- Anthony and Concordia avenues will return to being one-way streets, and the intersections will reopen to east-west traffic.
- All pedestrian facilities will reopen.