Dale Street Reconstruction
Dale Street will be reconstructed between Iglehart and University avenues in Saint Paul in 2020. The $14.7 million project includes reconstructing and widening the bridge over Interstate 94. Based upon extensive input from the neighborhood, the new concept:
- Improves safety for all.
- Includes reconfigured through lanes and left turn lanes to accommodate traffic volumes and allow for better traffic flow.
- Widens sidewalks to provide a safer passage for pedestrians and bicyclists in all seasons.
- Features public art that reflects and celebrates the Rondo community.
Pedestrian improvements include enhanced crossings, wider sidewalks and a gentler slope approaching I-94 from University Avenue.
Project partners include the City of Saint Paul and the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The project is identified as a priority in the City of Saint Paul’s Comprehensive Plan.
Construction began in late March 2020. The majority of construction, including the new bridge over I-94, is expected to be complete by late fall.
- Phase one: Rebuild the east (northbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the east side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: March - July 2020.
- Phase two: Rebuild the west (southbound) side of Dale Street between Carroll and University avenues, including removing and reconstructing the west side of the I-94 bridge.
Estimated timeline: July - November 2020.
- Phase three: Reconstruct Dale Street between Iglehart and Carroll avenues.
Estimated timeline: Summer 2021, after school releases for summer break
Sept. 14-18 update
Construction work this week will continue to focus on the bridge. Expect to see workers setting rebar on the bridge beams to prepare for the installation of the concrete deck, which will be poured in the upcoming weeks.
Crews will also work on the bridge substructure, mainly on the south wall. Work will continue on the water main on the sections of Dale Street south and north of the bridge.
For the safety of pedestrians and other travelers, please be sure to stop at intersections in the construction zone and follow the posted speed limits on Dale Street and I-94.
Live camera streams of the construction site are available from two cameras located at the intersection of Dale Street and St. Anthony Avenue.
Detours and closures
Dale Street and the bridge will remain open to two-way traffic throughout 2020.
Beginning of tab section with 3 tabs. Left and right arrow keys will navigate between tab navigation links.
Dale Street lane reductions and access
Dale Street is reduced to one lane in each direction between Carroll Avenue and University Avenue. All traffic is shifted to the east side of the road. Lane reductions will be in place through late fall.
Access is blocked to the Uni-Dale Mall from Dale Street.
Traffic lights at Concordia Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue
The traffic lights at the Dale Street intersections at Concordia Avenue and St. Anthony Avenue have been turned into flashing red signals. Please be sure to stop at the intersections.
Three-way stop at Concordia Avenue and St. Albans Avenue
A temporary three-way stop will be in place at the intersection of Concordia Avenue and St. Albans Avenue
Central, Fuller and Aurora avenues
The west side of the Central Avenue, Fuller Avenue and Aurora Avenue intersections are closed to motorists and pedestrians. Please use alternate routes to access these side streets
Overnight I-94 traffic impacts Sept. 10-11
Overnight lane restrictions and temporary closures will be in place on eastbound I-94 between Lexington Parkway and Marion Street Sept. 10-11 while crews install beams for the new west half of the Dale Street bridge.
- Beginning at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 2, traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction on eastbound I-94 between Lexington Parkway and Marion Street.
- Beginning at 10 p.m., the Minnesota State Patrol will intermittently stop traffic on eastbound I-94 for up to 15 minutes at a time while bridge beams are lifted into place.
The lane restrictions and closures will be complete by 5 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11.
Dale Street will remain open to traffic.
I-94 ramps closed through late fall
All ramps to and from I-94 at Dale Street are closed to traffic. The ramps are expected to remain closed through late fall.
Motorists should follow the signed detours using Lexington Parkway and University and Selby avenues.
I-94 lane shifts
Lane shifts are in place on I-94 while crews work on the middle support piers for the bridge. The shifts will be in place through fall.
The following portions of St. Anthony and Concordia avenues are temporarily converted from one-way to two-way streets:
- St. Anthony Avenue between St. Albans Street and Dale Street and between Dale Street and Kent Street.
- Concordia Avenue between St. Albans Street and Dale Street and between Benjamin E. Mays IB World School and Western Avenue.
The St. Anthony Avenue and Concordia Avenue intersections at Dale Street are closed to east-west traffic. The closures will remain in place through late fall.