South Shore Boulevard Design Study (Lake Links Trail)
A design study is underway for a proposed 1.5 mile multi-use trail along South Shore Boulevard from White Bear Avenue to County Road F. The trail will connect White Bear Avenue in the City of White Bear Lake to East County Line Road in White Bear Township, with a goal of improving pedestrian and bicyclist connectivity, comfort, safety and access.
The county is working with the City of White Bear Lake and White Bear Township to identify a preferred layout from three options for further analysis, including how the options impact local services, neighboring properties, utilities, wetlands, etc.
Once complete, the South Shore Boulevard trail would be part of the Lake Links Trail network, a series of planned trail segments that create a continuous system around White Bear Lake and connect into several of the area’s existing and planned trail corridors.
- December 2019 – March 2020: Develop concepts.
- Spring and summer 2020: Collect resident and stakeholder feedback. A final layout will be created based on the selected design and feedback.
- October 2020: Finish preliminary design.
- 2021: Develop final design plans.
- Spring/summer 2022: Construction (dependent on availability of project funds).
2018 preliminary design study
A preliminary design study was completed in 2018 that identified six options to accommodate bicycle and pedestrian traffic. This study ranked the alternatives, but the project team ultimately determined there was no ideal option and a more in-depth study was needed.