May 2023 is Tech Month
Tech month is focused on the important role the technology industry plays as a key driver of growth in our state and local economy. Minnesota’s Department of Employment and Economic Development projects have a high demand for IT professionals in Minnesota through 2028 and beyond.
Explore the resources and events below to learn more about the wide range of tech career opportunities.
Job seeker resources:
- Tech jobs on Job Connect.
- Tech trainings.
- Ramsey County Tech Talent report.
- Drop-in Computer and Tech Help at Ramsey County Library.
- Ramsey Connected.
- Tech Industry Snapshot Report.
Events and workshops:
- Tech Connect – May 3, 8 a.m.–5 p.m
An all-day conference offering industry leader networking opportunities, exposure for your brand and exploring how to transform the disruptive nature of advancing technology into opportunities for your organization. Hosted by MnTech.
- Tech on Tap – May 4, 4–6 p.m.
Join this monthly event consisting of casual networking and craft beer. Sponsored by Full Stack Saint Paul.
- Tech4All: Big Ideas, Virtual Reality and Community! – May 11, 2–6 p.m.
A free event offering opportunities to explore technology, learn about obtaining a career in tech and discover more than 20 trade career paths through a virtual reality exploration program. Information on tech training scholarships and other learning opportunities for youth and adults will also be available. All are welcome. Sponsored by Ramsey County and the Workforce Innovation Board.
- Open Source North – May 24, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Metro Region Online Technology Career Fair – May 31, 8–10:30 a.m.
- A virtual job fair featuring guest speaker Jeff Tollefson of MnTech, opportunities to connect directly with hiring professionals and more. Sponsored by Ramsey County, the Workforce Innovation Board and other metro area workforce development divisions.
- Roseville Job Fair – May 31, 3–6 p.m.
Bring your resumé, best first impression and get hired at this in-person job fair. Connect with hiring employers, in tech and other industries, who are eager to meet candidates with a variety of work experience and backgrounds. All are welcome. Sponsored by Ramsey County and the Workforce Innovation Board.
- Createch - Creative spaces for teens at Saint Paul Public Libraries. For ages 12-18. Visit the Saint Paul Public Library calendar for dates and times.
Tech employment facts:
- Roughly 12,923 people have tech careers in Ramsey County making up more than 3.8% of overall county employment (the national average is about 3.4%).
- Tech careers in Ramsey County are projected to grow 0.3% on average annually through 2027.
- In addition to needing over 200 new Ramsey County tech professionals to satisfy job growth, an additional 4,550 will be needed in through 2027 to replace retirements and job changes out of the field.
- The unemployment rate in tech positions sits at 0.9% in Ramsey County (91 people) compared to roughly 2.4% across all occupations.
- High demand for tech workers means high wages for many in the field. The average annual wage for tech occupations in Ramsey County is about $102,600, over $35,000 more than the average for all county occupations.