County Road J & I-35E Interchange
County Road J from Centerville Road to Otter Lake Road – including the interchange with I-35E – is scheduled for reconstruction in 2025. Ramsey County is leading the project in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, Anoka County, White Bear Township, North Oaks and Lino Lakes.
The existing I-35E and County Road J interchange –and the surrounding area – has several safety, congestion and access issues that impact pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists. Additional development is expected near the interchange in the next five years, which will increase traffic and worsen safety issues.
Three areas are targeted for improvement:
- The I-35E and County Road J interchange.
- County Road J from Centerville Road to Otter Lake Road.
- Centerville Road from County Road J to North Ash Street.
- Environmental analysis, preliminary design and community engagement: fall 2021 to 2023.
- Final design and community engagement: 2023-2024.
- Construction: spring-fall 2025.
Community engagement has been a key factor throughout the concept development and analysis phase and continues to be important as the project advances into the preliminary design process.
Past community engagement included:
- Online comment map from December 2021 to January 2022 to collect community feedback on safety, pedestrian and bicyclist access, congestion and access to businesses and neighborhoods.
- A virtual open house in September 2022 (StoryMap) was available to provide details on the 8 concept alternatives being considered and collect community feedback. There were also “Virtual Office Hours” which provided opportunities to connect live with Ramsey and Anoka County staff to ask questions and provide feedback during virtual meetings.
- An in-person open house was held in July 2023 where a preferred concept was reviewed along with additional project materials.
- Meeting summary (PDF)