Spills or Releases

Contact us

If a person or business has a spill or release of a material that, if not recovered, can cause a public safety or environmental threat, they must report it. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety operates a 24 hour service, establishing a one-call system for all state reporting requirements. This system is known as the Minnesota Duty Officer.

Reporting is required of any spills that may cause pollution, such as toxic, flammable, corrosive or dangerous industrial chemicals. You must also report spills of environmentally damaging materials, like milk, coal, animal parts or batteries. The only exception to reporting is petroleum spills of five gallons or less. If in doubt, report.

For more information