Safety information for extreme cold and winter weather
Health and safety tips
Tips for preparing for winter weather can be found on the Winter Storms & Extreme Cold webpage.
The CDC’s Extreme Cold Guide provides information on preparing your home and car, dressing for and understanding wind chill, and avoiding cold-weather health emergencies.
Steps you can take to stay safe include:
- Packing an emergency kit for your car.
- Heating your home safely. Be careful with space heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces.
- Dressing warmly and using layers. Do not leave areas of the skin exposed to the cold.
- Seeking medical attention for someone experiencing hypothermia or frostbite.
If you know someone who needs help with emergency housing in the cold, please view our Housing Services and Support webpage, or call 651-266-1050.
If you are looking for a warm place during the day, seek out heated public facilities during their open hours.
Winter warming spaces are open through February 28, 2023 from 9:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
Saint Paul locations:
- Union Gospel Mission - 435 University Ave E.
- Phalen Activity Center - 1530 Phalen Dr.
- Newell Park Building - 900 Fairview Ave N.
View details and transportation information
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2022 - 12:18 p.m.