Housing Services & Support

Contact us

Ramsey County works with a variety of local agencies to provide resources for people who are experiencing homelessness, at risk of becoming homeless or need emergency assistance to stay in their homes. 

Sign up for the Heading Home Ramsey e-newsletter

Homeless assistance

Beginning of tab section with 4 tabs. Left and right arrow keys will navigate between tab navigation links.

For families

Families with at least one minor child in need of emergency shelter should call the United Way’s Helpline and Crisis Line for a prescreen at 651-291-0211. If a family is currently unsheltered, they can also call Ramsey County’s Homeless Services Team directly during business hours at 651-266-7818.

For those experiencing domestic violence, Day One Services may be able to help find a safe place for families while fleeing abuse. Call Day One Services at 1-866-223-1111.

Women and children escaping abuse, battling addiction, or struggling homelessness and poverty can call Union Gospel Mission's Naomi Family Residence at 651-228-1800.

Families who are sleeping in a place not meant for human habitation (streets, car, camping, public transit, etc.) or staying at a domestic violence shelter and are only looking for supportive housing (not shelter) can call 651-215-2262.

For youth

Anyone age 24 or younger can connect with a variety of resources by visiting the Youth Services Network website or by downloading the YSN mobile app for free. Youth who need emergency help with food, clothing or finding a place to stay can call Safe Zone at 651-224-9644 or visit the SafeZone Drop-In Center for Homeless Youth, 130 East 7th Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101

Youth ages 12-24 who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless may also contact the Youth Resource Line through the YMCA 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week at 763-493-3052. YMCA staff will assist in problem-solving information on community resources and referrals; resources include food shelves, housing, employment, legal services, education, and health care. 

For singles

Single adults who are 22 years or older and seeking immediate shelter can call Catholic Charities - Higher Ground (formerly the Dorothy Day Center) at 651-647-2350 and choose option #7. Single men can also call Union Gospel Mission at 651-292-1721

Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and staying in a shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment to determine long-term housing options. Contact a housing assessor at the St. Paul Opportunity Center Service Desk at 651-404-6406 for an assessment over the phone, or by visiting the St. Paul Opportunity Center at 422 Dorothy Day Place, Saint Paul on Wednesday afternoons.

Coordinated Entry housing assessment for people not in shelter:

Single adults who are 25 years or older, currently experiencing homelessness and not staying in shelter, will need to complete a housing assessment to determine long-term housing options. Single adults not staying in shelter can email Caroline Holler or call 651-793-2219. Walk-in hours and locations:

  • Tuesdays from 1- 3 p.m., Healthcare for the Homeless.
  • Thursdays from 1- 4 p.m., George Latimer Library, 2nd floor.
  • Fridays from 9 a.m.- noon, Union Gospel Mission Clinic.

For veterans

Any veteran in need of housing assistance or resources can contact Ramsey County's Veterans Services at 651-266-2545.

Veterans are also invited to visit the county Veterans Assistance office at 90 Plato Blvd. W, Saint Paul, MN 55107.

Find more information about available services on the Veterans Assistance web page.

Homeless veterans and their families can also call 1-888-546-5838 (LinkVet) and join the Homeless Veteran Registry for additional housing resources.

Back to tab navigation. End of tab content.

Homeless prevention resources

Safe Space

Homebuyer and homeowner programs

Housing services evaluation reports