COVID-19 Racial Equity & Community Engagement
Advancing racial and health equity and effective community engagement is an integral part of Ramsey County's COVID-19 response.
Racial Equity and Community Engagement Response Team (RECERT)
The Racial Equity and Community Engagement Response Team helps inform the county's response and provide critical links between county operations and the residents we serve.
Equity Action Circle (EAC)
The Equity Action Circle consists of 15 community members representing diverse backgrounds that co-develop strategies and solutions in partnership with the county to meet the unmet needs of residents.
RECERT is leading several initiatives to address community needs and share information with racially, culturally and ethnically diverse communities.
Beginning of tab section with 4 tabs. Left and right arrow keys will navigate between tab navigation links.
A Mask for Everyone
A Mask for Everyone is an initiative to ensure that individuals and families, specifically racially, ethnically and culturally diverse communities, have access to a homemade mask and accurate information about how to use them to slow the spread of COVID-19.
More than 135,000 masks have been distributed through the program so far.
RECERT is partnering with trusted members and community organizations to ensure Ramsey County's diverse racial, ethnic and cultural communities are informed about coronavirus, county services and community resources during the pandemic.
Town halls and conversations
RECERT hosted several virtual community meetings to share an overview of COVID-19 services, answer community questions and share health information.
Video recordings and presentation archive
COVID-19 pandemic report
A report is available on the experiences and needs of Ramsey County’s cultural and ethnic minority communities around COVID-19. The report draws on input and knowledge shared by community members during 49 conversations facilitated by 15 community partners from November 2020 to February 2021.
- View the report (PDF)
COVID-19 vaccine report
A report is available about perceptions, myths, fears and hesitancies around the COVID-19 vaccine. The report was developed based on 19 community conversations hosted by eight community partners in April 2021.
Information and resources
Equity mapping tool
- COVID-19 health inequities impact on Minnesota's Black and Hispanic residents (Pioneer Press)
- COVID-19 affects on Black people (News One)
- Racial wealth gap and the COVID-19 pandemic (Center for American Progress)
- Xenophobia (NPR News)
- Minnesota, racial inequality and coronavirus (Star Tribune / MSN News)
- Coronavirus impact on Native Americans (Washington Post)
- The census and racial disparities (MinnPost)
- MN DEED addressing racial disparities amid COVID-19 (Mshale)
- White privilege and COVID-19 (Star Tribune)
- COVID-19 Real Talk series (Urban Leage Twin Cities)
- Ensuring racial equity during COVID homeless response (National Alliance to End Homelessness)
- Centering race equity during COVID response (Independent Sector)
- COVID-19's threat to Native American communities (Johns Hopkins School of Public Health)
- COVID-19: A conversation with U.S. Indigenous leaders (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation)
- Confronting xenophobia (Massachusetts General Hospital)
- United against hate: Discussion on anti-Asian racism (NBC News)