Civil Commitment Representation Professional Service Solicitation
This solicitation establishes a Civil Commitment Panel of attorneys to perform all duties required in representing eligible individuals. Each attorney shall appear in all proceedings and Mental Status Exams. This includes both Ramsey County and Washington County cases.
Pursuant to the Minnesota Commitment and Treatment Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 253B and the Minnesota Commitment and Treatment Act: Sexually Dangerous Persons and Sexual Psychopathic Personalities Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 253D, certain patients and committed persons have a right to a court appointed attorney.
Civil Commitment Representation Attorneys are attorneys that perform all duties required in representing patients and committed individuals pursuant to the Minnesota Commitment and Treatment Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 253B and Minnesota commitment and Treatment Act: Sexually Dangerous Persons and sexual Psychopathic Personalities Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 253D.
- Eligible panel attorneys must have a minimum of five years of combined experience as a practicing attorney in civil commitment law and/or civil litigation.
- Eligible substitute attorneys must have a minimum of five years of combined experience as a practicing attorney in civil commitment law and/or civil litigation.
- Contractors must have a current license to practice law in Minnesota.
- Contractors must have the ability to provide the county with an Employer Identification Number or W9.
How many contracts are expected to be awarded?
We anticipate contracting with eight Commitment Panel Attorneys and one to two substitute attorneys. Substitute attorneys are engaged on an as-needed basis. All contracts will be awarded for one year starting in 2024 with opportunities for up to four additional one year renewals.
- Complete this application and submit online by Nov. 20, 2023, by 5 p.m. (Please note that the date has been updated).
- Selected Commitment Panel Attorneys will sign a Professional Service Agreement with Ramsey County.
- Contact Steven Kensinger with questions.
|Posted and released to the public.||Oct. 23|
|Questions due to Steven Kensinger.||Nov. 7|
|Answers to questions posted on this page.||Nov. 13 (Date updated)|
|Applications due.||Nov. 20 at 5 p.m. (Date updated)|