Transient Merchant Licenses
Anyone who engages in temporary or transient business within Ramsey County to sell goods or services is required to obtain a Transient Merchant license.
“Transient Merchant” means any individual, co-partnership, limited liability company or corporation, both as principal and agent, who:
- Engages in, does, or transacts any temporary and transient business in Minnesota. This business can take place either in one locality, or in traveling from place to place in this state, selling goods, wares and merchandise.
- Hires, leases, occupies or uses a building, structure, vacant lot or railroad car for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares and merchandise.
The term "Transient Merchant" does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors.
Any person - either as principal or agent - conducting business as a transient merchant without having first obtained a license may be charged with a gross misdemeanor.
The following required documents must be completed and accepted prior to issuing a license. Forms must be printed, signed and mailed or delivered to:
Property Tax Services
90 W. Plato Blvd.
Saint Paul, MN 55107
Some forms require notarization; notary services are available at Taxpayer Services.
- Application for Transient Merchant License (PDF)
- Form SP: C1 – License Applicant Information (PDF)
- Certification of Compliance with Minnesota Workers' Compensation Law (PDF)
- Appointment of County Auditor as Agent (PDF)
A Surety Bond payable to Ramsey County in the amount of $3,000, and conditioned on the terms as stated in Minnesota Statutes section 329.11, must accompany the license application.
Applicants must also provide an itemized list of merchandise to be offered for sale, listing:
- A description of each item.
- The serial number of each item, if any.
- The owner's actual cost for each item.
- A designation of each item by a number which corresponds to a number affixed to each item by a tag. The tag must be kept fastened to the item at all times until sold.
- A copy of the seller’s permit as issued under section 297A.83, or a written statement from the applicant stating that the applicant is not offering for sale any item that is taxable under Chapter 297A.
Licenses are valid for one year from the date of issuance at one sale location only within the county of issuance. They are not valid for more than one person (except for co-partnerships).
- The license fee is $150 for each sale location.
- Payment may be made by check or money order payable to Ramsey County.
Every person, either as principal or agent, that conducts any one of the following actions without a license may be charged with a gross misdemeanor:
- Engages in, does, or transacts any business as a transient merchant.
- Conducts any sale, sells or exposes for sale, any goods, wares and merchandise.
- Advertises, represents or holds forth any sale of goods, wares and merchandise.