County offering services at Dorothy Day Place
Ramsey County began operations Nov. 4 at the Catholic Charities’ Dorothy Day Place, providing coordinated, wrap-around services to individuals experiencing homelessness. Staff from six county departments are onsite in the facility’s Saint Paul Opportunity Center to provide information and connections for help with employment, housing, financial assistance, child support, health care, mental health, veterans services and the justice system.
Ramsey County is partnering with Catholic Charities in support of Stability Starts with a Place to Call Home, the county’s strategic priority to enhance services that ensure housing stability for all county residents. The county is working in this cross-sector collaboration to provide timely, coordinated, client-centered services from several departments:
- Workforce Solutions – employment navigators are providing information about employment service programs including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment and Training, Diversionary Work Program, the Minnesota Family Investment Program, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act Adult and Youth, and Dislocated Worker.
- Community Corrections – staff are on-site as a resource for clients and other service providers that work with their clients. Probation staff are providing case management and referrals to other services available at the Opportunity Center.
- Financial Assistance Services – financial workers are assisting clients by answering questions about the Coordinated Entry System and applying for various financial assistance programs such as General Assistance, SNAP, healthcare for disabled individuals and Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing).
- Social Services – staff are providing services and support for individuals affected by mental illness. Staff will also have information, referral and intake for home and community-based services for individuals needing personal care assistants, support with physical disabilities, developmental disabilities or aging.
- Veterans Services – is working with the Veterans Administration, Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs and others to support and staff a Veterans Resource Hub to connect veterans to benefits, housing assistance and other help available.
- Child Support/Ramsey County Attorney’s Office – general information and caseload management will be provided for individuals involved with open child support cases.
Ramsey County departments have staff onsite on varying days and hours throughout the week, based on expected needs. Over the next few weeks, staff presence will be adjusted to ensure services are available and responsive to unique client needs identified at the Saint Paul Opportunity Center.