Service alert - COVID-19
The year-round compost bin pick-up option at the Environmental Health office in Maplewood has been suspended until further notice.
To order a compost bin, go to RecycleMinnesota.org and select one of their pick-up dates. Use promo code “Ramsey” to receive a $20 discount.
Master Gardeners booths have been postponed.
Home composting is an easy way to turn organic waste into a rich soil amendment. All you need is a compost bin and a pitch fork, which you can find at most lawn and garden stores. Contact your city about rules and restrictions.
Backyard Composting "How-to" Videos:
Items you can compost:
- Small amounts of leaves.
- Grass clippings.
- Other plant material (except weeds gone to seed).
- Food scraps (except meat, bones, grease and dairy).
- Coffee grounds and tea bags.
- Soiled paper and paper products, like dirty napkins, paper plates and paper egg cartons.
- Do not add compostable plastics. They will not break down in a backyard compost bin.
- How to compost
- Diagnosing common backyard compost problems
- University of Minnesota Extension advice
- Benefits of compost
- How to use compost
Compost bin sales
Ramsey County offers compost bins year-round with a pick-up location in Maplewood. The compost bins are $66, plus tax. Ramsey County residents can get an additional $20 off! Order online at RecycleMinnesota.org and enter promo code “Ramsey” to receive the discounted price or call 651-641-4589 and mention that you are a Ramsey County resident. Then call Ramsey County Environmental Health at 651-266-1199 to arrange a pick-up time.
Compost more items
Ramsey County operates seven yard waste sites collection sites. All sites are free and open to Ramsey County residents only, a photo ID is required.