Recycling at Home
This is a general guideline of household items that are recyclable throughout Ramsey County. Many communities accept additional materials for recycling. Contact your city for more information.
- Empty and rinse containers.
- Remove caps from glass containers but you can leave caps on cartons and plastic containers.
- Flatten cardboard boxes but do not flatten cartons, metal cans or plastic containers.
- Keep paper and boxes dry.
- Place all recyclables in a paper bag or loose in the recycling cart or dumpster.
- Do not include plastic bags with your recycling. They can jam shorting machines at recycling facilities. Bring plastic bags to a retailer or visit Plastic Film Recycling to find a drop off site.
Bottles, cans, cartons and jugs
- Dishwashing bottles.
- Glass food and beverage bottles and jars.
- Ketchup and salad dressing bottles.
- Metal food and beverage cans.
- Milk and juice cartons and jugs.
- Plastic water, pop and juice bottles.
- Soup, broth and wine cartons.
Tubs, containers and lids
- Clear fruit and vegetable containers.
- Margarine, cottage cheese, cream cheese and other tubs.
- Yogurt pudding and fruit cups – no foil lids.
Boxes and cardboard tubes
- Cardboard cans. (chips, nuts, oatmeal)
- Cereal, cracker, pasta and other pantry boxes can be included in household recycling. The empty plastic bags inside should be taken to a drop-off site.
- Delivery pizza boxes – no food or grease.
- Food boxes from the refrigerator.
- Paper towel tubes.
Office and mail
Paper and boxes
- Delivery boxes – break down first.
- Magazines and catalogs.
- Mail: letters, envelopes and cards (no foil or glitter) and advertisements. Sound cards should be taken to a drop off site.
- Newspaper and inserts.
- Office and school papers.
- Phone books.
- Wrapping paper – no foil or glitter, no tissue paper.
- Shredded paper should be placed in closed paper bags labeled "shredded." Find more options in our A to Z Recycling Guide.
- Shampoo, soap and lotion bottles.
- Tissue boxes.
- Toilet paper tubes.
- Toothpaste boxes and other toiletry boxes.
- Fabric softener boxes.
- Laundry detergent bottles.