A federal government shutdown will not immediately impact any Ramsey County services.
Military & Overseas Voters
Military and overseas voters can use a special process to receive and return their ballot. Read the eligibility rules below before you apply. A spouse, parent, sibling or child age 18 and over can apply for you.
Apply for your ballot as soon as you can. Estimated transit times are listed below. Times can vary due to unforeseen events or weather issues.
- Mail sent to/from Europe usually takes one week each way.
- Mail send to/from East Asia usually takes 7-10 days each way.
- Mail send to/from Africa, South Asia, the Middle East and Latin America can take up to four weeks each way.
- Uniformed or military personnel and their dependents.
- Citizens overseas temporarily.
- Citizens overseas indefinitely (only eligible to vote for federal offices).
Apply for your ballot
Any application submitted now until 11/7/2023 will be effective for each election until 11/5/2024; therefore, voters will be asked to provide their political party on their application to participate in the 2024 presidential primary, held on 3/5/2024.
- Download a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) if you are concerned that you do not have enough time to send a regular absentee ballot.
- For federal offices, you may indicate your choice by writing in a candidate name or political party.
- For state or local offices on the FWAB, you must write the name of the candidate (not just the party) for your vote to be counted.
Receiving your ballot
You can receive the ballot by email, fax or mail. You will need to indicate on your application how you would like to receive the ballot.
Ballots are sent out by election officials at least 45 days prior to the election. When applications are received fewer than 45 days before the election, ballots are sent within one business day of receiving them.
Ballots sent by mail are airmailed to addresses outside the continental U.S. Your ballot will be sent to you by an express mail service if you provide a prepaid envelope to the county auditor’s office.
Submit your voted ballot
Regardless of how you received the ballot, you must return your voted ballot by mail or package delivery to the election office the ballot was received from. Ballots delivered by mail or package delivery service will be accepted until 8 p.m. on Election Day.
Your ballot will not be counted if it is received after Election Day.