Ramsey County provides 25 miles of marked and groomed cross-country ski trails at five locations.
Ramsey County trails are funded in part by the Minnesota DNR Grant-In-Aid program.
Ski rules and trail guidelines
- Trail hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
- Skiing on lighted trails is permitted until 9 p.m.
- A Minnesota State Ski Pass is required to ski on all trails for skiers age 16 and above.
- Groomed trails are for cross-country ski use only. No snowshoeing, hiking, skijoring, sledding or pets.
- Skate skiing permitted at the Battle Creek West trail only.
- Motorized vehicles are prohibited on trails.
- Ski trails are one-way unless otherwise marked.
- Observe all arrows and do not enter signs.
- Ski only on marked and groomed trails.
Races and special events
Cross-country ski trails are available for use for team practices, races and other special events. A Special Use Permit is required for such events. Contact Parks & Recreation for more information.
Download the practice/meet request form. (PDF)
Trail locations and conditions
Ski trails throughout the county are now closed.
Firsthand trail reports are often available on skinnyski.com.
Trail rating guide
- Excellent: Track freshly set or in similar condition with consistent base. No bare spots. No ice.
- Good: Track in condition near to freshly set. Some bare spots not seriously affecting ski ability. Some icy spots.
- Fair: Track beginning to deteriorate, some areas of track obliterated. Some bare spots beginning to affect ski ability. Icy spots beginning to affect ski ability.
- Poor: Track deteriorated over much of trail. Lots of bare spots. Icy spots beginning to affect ski ability.
- Closed: Lack of snow or dangerously icy or extremely cold conditions.