Battle Creek Play Area
Battle Creek Regional Park, located in the cities of Maplewood and Saint Paul, encompasses over 800 acres of park land, a large pavilion, park shelter and water park. A playground located near the large pavilion will be removed in 2019. The playground is beyond its life cycle and has received funding for replacement. Rather than simply replace the existing equipment, a project has begun to determine what the play-related needs of the park are and to gain public feedback on what type of play area should be developed. Public input provided at community meetings and a public survey in fall 2017 was used to create the concept designs as well as the following vision and goals for the proposed play area:
Create a regional destination play area at Battle Creek Regional Park.
- Replace old, out-dated existing equipment.
- Move the existing play area out of the flood zone.
- Make a unique space with varied features.
- Expand the typical user group from children ages 2-12 to all ages.
- Universal, inclusive design for users of all abilities.
- Complement existing Battle Creek facilities including: Waterworks, picnic pavilion, biking and hiking trails and stormwater infrastructure.
- Create a large, regional facility.
- Consider future maintenance when creating features.
- The play area should be environmentally friendly with an education component.
The Battle Creek Play Area project is in final design process and is slated to start construction September 1, 2019 and be completed late May 2020.
- Submit design documents to city of Maplewood – March 2019.
- Re-submit design documents to city of Maplewood for administrative review – March 2019.
- Create construction documentation – April 2019.
- Bidding – June 2019 - August 2019.
- Construction begins – September 2019 - May 2020.
- View proposed concepts (PDF)