Pigs Eye Lake Master Plan
The Pigs Eye master plan will address phased natural resource improvements for the Pigs Eye Lake island building project, other natural resource activities and public protection for the Ramsey County section of Pigs Eye Lake.
Due to the timing for implementation of the islands within the Pigs Eye section, two master plan amendments are happening concurrently for Battle Creek Regional Park.
Battle Creek Regional Park – Master Plan Amendment
The overall Battle Creek Regional Park Master Plan Amendment will cover the entire regional park for both natural resource and recreation improvements.
Pigs Eye Master Plan Amendment
The separate Pigs Eye Lake master plan amendment will focus on natural resource projects and will ultimately get absorbed into the overall plan since it will be completed prior to the larger Battle Creek Regional Park Master Plan Amendment. This master plan update is a requirement of the Metropolitan Council as the overseer of the regional park and trails system. Metropolitan Council approved the master plan amendment on April 28, 2021.
Community engagement opportunities relating to this master plan served as a forum for community members to share feedback throughout the master plan process.
Meeting and project-related documents are available upon request. Email Parks & Recreation.
Virtual community meeting
A virtual community meeting was held on September 17, 2020, during which members of the public raised some questions and concerns regarding the island building project.
- Utilization of dredge material.
- Existing pollution.
- Timing for implementation – potential delay of the project until long-term cleanup activities have been completed.
- Benefits of islands in Pigs Eye Lake.
- Long-term clean-up efforts.
- Impact and or benefits to existing wildlife.
- Public Safety – need for additional long-term planning.
- Need for future access and recreation improvements.
- Climate resilient vegetation.
- Opportunity for partnerships and collaborations.
- 45-day review – August 17, 2020 – September 30, 2020.
- Virtual community meeting – September 17, 2020.
- Ramsey County Parks Commission – January 13, 2021.
- Ramsey County Board of Commissioners – February 16, 2021.
- Metropolitan Council (Metropolitan Parks and Open Space Commission (MPOSC)) – April 1, 2021.
- Metropolitan Council (Community Development Committee (CDC)) – April 19, 2021.
- Metropolitan Council (Council Meeting) – April 28, 2021.
- Metropolitan Council approved the master plan amendment on this date.