Frequently Asked Questions

Can I drop off my unruly child at the Juvenile Detention Center ?

No. Your child must commit an offense before being admitted to the Juvenile Detention Center. If you need assistance, please call the Ramsey County Child Crisis line at 651-774-7000.

Who is my child’s probation officer and what is their phone number?

To determine who your child’s probation officer is, call 651-266-5300.

Do we need to appear for my child’s review hearing?

For more information about your child’s review hearing, contact the probation division at 651-266-5300 or Juvenile Court at 651-266-5115.

How do we pay for restitution the judge ordered?

The assigned probation officer will supervise the case and will work with you to collect restitution to the best of your ability.

What happens to my child? Will my child be removed from my home?

Although judges have the power to place juveniles in various settings other than their home, they usually will not do this at the first hearing. They want to see your child succeed in your home. If you cooperate with the judge and with your son or daughter’s probation officer, there is a better chance that your son or daughter will succeed on probation and may not be removed from your home.

If my child is placed outside of my home, who pays for it?

If the judge orders your child be placed somewhere other than your home, either for treatment or to protect the public, you as a guardian and/or parent will be ordered to pay the cost of the placement. If you are not able to pay the total cost, the Support and Collections Division of the County Attorney’s Office will contact you to determine how much you can afford to pay.

What time is court?

Contact Juvenile Court at 651-266-5115.

What should we do if we will be late or not be able to appear in court?

Contact your Probation Officer immediately as well as the Juvenile Court at 651-266-5115.

My child is a runaway. What should I do?

Contact the law enforcement agency in your community:

  • Saint Paul Police Department651-266-5612 (7 a.m-4 p.m.) or 651-266-5700 (after hours).
  • Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department651-767-0640 (Serves Arden Hills, Gem Lake, Little Canada, Maplewood, New Brighton, North Oaks, Roseville, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights and White Bear Township)
  • Saint Anthony Police Department612-782-3350 (Serves Falcon Heights, Lauderdale and Saint Anthony)
  • Mounds View Police763-717-4070
  • North St. Paul Police651-747-2406
  • White Bear Lake Police651-429-8511

My child won’t go to school. What should I do?

Attending school every day and being on time increases a student’s learning capacity, earning potential as an adult, and positive opportunities through life. Call the Ramsey County Truancy Intervention Program (TIP) at 651-266-3135.

Questions for attorneys

Some of your questions may need to be answered by your attorney. Most juveniles are represented by a public defender. Their general information number is 651-757-1600.

  • We were in court and have forgotten who the attorney is, what’s his or her name?
  • I pled guilty but I didn’t do it. How do I change my plea?
  • Is it possible to have something removed from my juvenile record?