MnCHOICES Intake Assessment
The MnCHOICES assessment allows for anyone of any age with a disability to access the support services needed to stay in their homes. MnCHOICES helps make decisions about long-term services that help individuals thrive in their communities. Using complete applicant information MnCHOICES determines if there are publicly-funded programs and services available, and replaces the need for multiple assessments.
How MnCHOICES works
- After a referral, a MnCHOICES certified assessor arranges and completes an in-person assessment to determine eligible services.
- If found eligible for case management services, a social worker/case manager will assist the applicant in receiving services they qualify for.
- A case manager will continue to minimize the impact of the applicant’s disability, while insuring services continue and change as their needs change.
Types of support available
- Home and Community-Based Service Waivers provide alternatives to placing Medicaid eligible people in hospital or institutional care.
- Alternative Care funds are available for people with modest incomes and assets, who choose to receive community services instead of moving to a nursing home.
- Consumer Support Grants give consumers choices and alternatives to state-funded Medicaid home care services and service providers.
- Moving Home Minnesota reduces barriers to those receiving long-term care services in home and community settings.
- Semi-Independent Living Skills provides training for adults with developmental disabilities to direct their own lives and live independently in their homes.
- Personal Care Assistance provides personal, home support for people with disabilities living independently in the community.
- Family Support Grant provides funds to families of children with certified disabilities to prevent or delay out-of-home placement and promote family health.