Bruce Vento Regional Trail Extension – Whitaker Street to County Road J
Phase 2 design project
Additional planning and design are underway for the last section of regional trail from Whitaker Street and County Road J in the cities of White Bear Lake and White Bear Township. Currently, the existing planned regional trail alignment is identified within an active railway corridor and will not accommodate a regional trail alignment.
Ramsey County Parks & Recreation initiated a planning study from 2018–2019 to refine alternative regional trail alignment corridors out of the rail right-of-way. This process investigated several trail alignment corridors north of Highway 96 to County Road J. In early 2020, a preferred trail alignment corridor was selected as a result of a public engagement process from September 2018–2020.
The preferred regional trail corridor that was selected will follow Bald Eagle Avenue, Bald Eagle Boulevard, Taylor Avenue and Hugo Road to County Road J. An alternate alignment was also selected with potential utilization of the White Bear High School property, Division Street and Park Avenue to Hugo Road. The alternate corridor route was presented as a secondary option dependent on outcomes from design scenarios on Bald Eagle Boulevard.
In February 2021, another planning and design project was initiated to study the preferred regional trail alignment further and develop a schematic/preliminary design plan for the section of trail between Whitaker Street and County Road J. This project will integrate a regional trail extension within an urban corridor of varied road types utilizing the preferred trail route.
- Basis for final design and construction documents and future grant requests from Whitaker Street to County Road J.
- To facilitate public involvement with meaningful engagement to obtain feedback representative of the population living within the project corridor for regional trail improvements.
- Provide high quality community spaces that promote an enriched culture for all people, all ages and all abilities.
- To provide a regional trail facility, amenities, and site components that complement the natural resource base and incorporate sustainability and green infrastructure for long-term resiliency.
- Provide trail connections to Rush Line BRT, downtown White Bear Lake, and other trail systems.
- Development of schematic design options and 20% preliminary plans.
- Community engagement process.
We asked the community to share input as we continue to develop the preliminary design of an extension to the Bruce Vento Regional Trail. The survey was available through Nov. 10, 2021.
An interactive wikimap is available to view and share comments.
Previous community engagement
- October 21, 2021 – Open house
- July 14, 2021 – Virtual community meeting presenting Phase 2 Design project plans and an opportunity for public input.
- November 19, 2019 – presentation (PDF)
- Meeting documents may be found in the Related Resources section on this page.
- October 25, 2018 – Provided preferred trail alignment corridor and gain additional public input.
- October 4, 2018 – Presented proposed corridors for public input.