Bail Reform Work Group
The Ramsey County Bail Reform Work Group (BRWG) collaborates with justice system stakeholders, nonprofit groups, and community members. BRWG members are dedicated to improving our pretrial system by prioritizing community well-being and safety and reducing reliance on cash bail.
The BRWG initiative works to achieve the goals of Ramsey County's 2022 Strategic Plan.
Eliminate the harm to communities caused by the for-profit cash bail system while improving public safety and court appearances by:
- Transitioning from a system based on wealth to one based on risk.
- Reducing the reliance on the cash bail system.
- Ensuring no one is held because of an inability to pay.
- Reducing the jail population.
- Increasing court appearance rate.
- Engaging community members to develop and be part of system alternatives including, but not limited to, a pretrial assessment tool.
- Orienting systems around promoting community safety and wellbeing.