The Government Center East Building is closed for in-person appointments. For the limited situations where it is not possible for a resident to interact with staff via telephone or online, Financial Assistance Services staff are available at all five Service Centers.
Call the Emergency Assistance hotline at 651-266-4884 for application help, questions about eligibility or to find out the status of your application.
COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance
Are you a renter who has fallen behind on rent due to COVID-19?
RentHelpMN is now accepting applications for eligible renters who have experienced hardship due to COVID-19 and owe past due rent.
Are you a landlord with renters who have fallen behind on rent due to COVID-19?
The Zero Balance Project will be accepting applications from landlords on behalf of their renters until Sunday, June 20.
Need assistance due to circumstances other than COVID-19?
Emergency Assistance (EA) and Emergency General Assistance (EGA) help with shelter, such as a security deposit or past due rent/mortgage. EA and EGA also help pay for utilities, when there is threat of disconnection. Utilities include electricity, heat and water.
- Emergency Assistance helps adults with children, and pregnant women. Those who qualify for Emergency Assistance can receive up to two months payment for their share of rent/mortgage and up to $1,800 in utility assistance.
- Emergency General Assistance helps adults without children. Those who qualify for Emergency General Assistance can receive up to two month's payment for their share of rent/mortgage or utilities, or a combined payment of up to $812.
You may be eligible if:
- You have not received EA/EGA help in the last 12 months.
- Your income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for household size.
- You you do not have enough resources to resolve your crisis.
- You can show you have enough income to pay bills moving forward.
Apply for emergency help
- If you ARE NOT already receiving public assistance, or your case closed more than 30 days ago, you can apply for EA/EGA online at applymn.dhs.mn.gov or by calling the Intake Hotline at 651-266-4444. You can also request a “Combined Application” from the Intake Hotline and email your application to [email protected].
- If you ARE receiving public assistance through Ramsey County and have an open case (SNAP, healthcare, or cash assistance), fill out the application and email it to: [email protected] or fax to 651-266-3909. You may also call your caseworker or the Emergency Assistance Hotline at 651-266-4884 to apply.