Emergency Assistance

Contact us
Alert symbol on red background

COVID-19 update

The Government Center East Building is closed for in-person appointments. For the limited situations where it is not possible for a resident to interact with staff via telephone or online, the Government Center East Building is open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

To apply for Cash, SNAP, or Child Care Assistance visit: applymn.dhs.mn.gov.

If you would like more information about available health care programs and how to apply, visit the Health Care Assistance page.

All Financial Assistance intake interviews will take place over the phone, rather than in-person. After an application is submitted and assigned, your assigned financial worker will call you for your phone interview. Clients can send applications and verifications via email at fas.forms@ramseycounty.us, fax to 651-266-3942 or drop them off in the drop box outside of the East Building. See form drop-off & walk-in assistance sites.

If you are receiving financial assistance through Ramsey County, you may not need to reapply or renew your benefits during this public health emergency. Most renewals have been suspended or extended for all programs. If you are unsure whether you need to complete a renewal, call your financial worker or our main contact center at 651-266-4444 between 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. If you have questions about your Medical Assistance case in the MNsure system, please call 651-266-3870 between 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

COVID-19 information and resources


If you are concerned about interruptions in your income and paying your bills, Ramsey County is here to help with Emergency Assistance (EA) and Emergency General Assistance (EGA).

Emergency Assistance helps adults with children, and pregnant women. Emergency General Assistance helps adults without children.

EA and EGA help with shelter, such as past due rent/mortgage or a damage deposit. EA and EGA also help pay for utilities, including electricity, heat and water, when there is threat of disconnection. 

Emergency Assistance translated materials


In general, if you have not had EA/EGA help in the last 12 months (see updated requirements during COVID-19 below), and you do not have enough resources to resolve your crisis, you may be eligible. You must show you have enough income to pay bills moving forward. 


  • To apply for EA/EGA fill out the Ramsey County EA/EGA Application (PDF) and email the form to the Emergency Assistance Team or fax to 651-266-3909.
    • If you are not already receiving public assistance and are applying for multiple programs (SNAP, health care, cash, child care assistance) you can also apply online at applymn.dhs.mn.gov.
  • Financial Assistance workers can help you Monday–Friday from 8:30 a.m.– 4 p.m. via phone at 651-266-4444. They cannot decide if you are eligible for emergency help, but they can answer general questions and review your application. They can also send you a paper application.
  • For questions about eligibility or application status, call the EA/EGA hotline at 651-266-4884

Emergency Assistance & Emergency General Assistance Application

For information on emergency housing, visit Housing Services & Support.

What you need to know about EA/EGA (Updates effective May 13, 2020)

  • EA/EGA provides assistance for past due rent/mortgage, damage deposit or utilities. Those seeking help with utility bills should apply first for energy assistance through Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties. Find more information and an application on their website.
  • EA and EGA programs have suspended the rule about how often assistance may be obtained (usually only once in a 12 month period). You can apply for emergency assistance even if you have already received help within the past 12 months.
  • Both emergency programs have maximum limits of what dollar amount can be paid; these amounts have been increased. Please speak with your financial worker about what you need; if it is still more than EA or EGA can help with, we can refer you to other community agencies who may able to assist you with additional funds.
  • Some other regular eligibility requirements have also been suspended. Your worker can explain these to you in detail.