The Government Center East Building is closed for in-person appointments. For the limited situations where it is not possible for a resident to interact with staff via telephone or online, Financial Assistance Services staff are available at all five Service Centers.
Call the Emergency Assistance hotline at 651-266-4884 for application help, questions about eligibility or to find out the status of your application.
COVID-19 relief funds for renters and landlords coming soon
Get Ready to Apply
RentHelpMN will be available soon. Renters and landlords are encouraged to download checklists to find out what documents they'll need to be ready to apply when the program opens for applications.
Emergency Assistance (EA) and Emergency General Assistance (EGA) help with shelter, such as a security deposit or past due rent/mortgage. EA and EGA also help pay for utilities, when there is threat of disconnection. Utilities include electricity, heat and water.
- Emergency Assistance helps adults with children, and pregnant women. Those who qualify for Emergency Assistance can receive up to two months' payment for their share of rent/mortgage and up to $1,800 in utility assistance.
- Emergency General Assistance helps adults without children. Those who qualify for Emergency General Assistance can receive up to two month's payment for their share of rent/mortgage or utilities, or a combined payment of up to $812.
You may be eligible if:
- You have not received EA/EGA help in the last 12 months.
- Your income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for household size.
- You you do not have enough resources to resolve your crisis.
- You can show you have enough income to pay bills moving forward.
Apply for emergency help
- If you ARE NOT already receiving public assistance, or your case closed more than 30 days ago, you can apply for EA/EGA online at applymn.dhs.mn.gov or by calling the Intake Hotline at 651-266-4444. You can also request a “Combined Application” from the Intake Hotline and email your application to [email protected].
- If you ARE receiving public assistance through Ramsey County and have an open case (SNAP, healthcare, or cash assistance), fill out the application and email it to: [email protected] or fax to 651-266-3909. You may also call your caseworker or the Emergency Assistance Hotline at 651-266-4884 to apply.