Mental Health & Crisis

In a crisis? Get help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Under 18 years old

Call the Children's Mental Health Crisis Line: 651-266-7878.

Over 18 years old

Call the Adult Mental Health Crisis Line: 651-266-7900.

Ramsey County’s mobile crisis team provides stabilization services, de-escalation, crisis intervention, mental health assessments and initial crisis plans.

Walk-in crisis services are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health.

Mental health services

No two people take the same path to recovery and wellness. Ramsey County can help you find resources and support to live an independent, full and meaningful life in your community. 

Ramsey County's Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics provide comprehensive behavioral health services, both directly and through contracts with private agencies. People who have insurance, public health care, such as medical assistance, or are without insurance can find help.

Beginning of tab section with 3 tabs. Left and right arrow keys will navigate between tab navigation links.

Children's Mental Health

Ramsey County’s children’s mental health services help support and improve children's emotional well-being and development, their relationships with family and friends, and their ability to get along with others and function effectively at home, in school and in the community.

The mental health issues that children might experience include the following:

  • Having difficult relationships with peers or adults.
  • Controlling anger or aggression.
  • Managing worries or other troubling thoughts or feelings.
  • Being able to pay attention or focus.
  • Feeling sad or worthless.
  • Engaging in risky or self-injurious behavior.
  • Coping with significant losses, traumas or other major life events and changes.

Ramsey County coordinates an extensive network of assessment, treatment and supportive services for children and teens with mental health needs. These services include:

24/7 crisis services

Contact our mobile crisis team by calling 651-266-7878.

Ramsey County’s mobile crisis team provides stabilization services, de-escalation, crisis intervention, mental health assessments and initial crisis plans.

Crisis services are available to all children in homes, schools or institutions in Ramsey County, regardless of the family’s ability to pay or type of insurance.

Case management phone line

Contact our case management team by calling 651-266-4486.

The case management phone line provides help for Ramsey County parent/guardians, community members, mental health workers and other professionals with: 

  • General, non-crisis questions about children's mental health.
  • Questions about CMH case management services.
  • Accessing CMH case management services.
  • Making a referral.
  • Checking the status of a referral.

Case management

Case management services can be provided to children who have serious mental health needs.

Project Assist

Project Assist provides screening, assessment, intervention and arrangement of ongoing services for youth who have been identified with a mental health concern.

All Children Excel

All Children Excel (ACE) is a program for youth under the age of 10 who would have been charged in a juvenile court if they were older. Children are referred to the program by Saint Paul and suburban police departments. 

Partnership for Youth & Family Wellbeing

The Partnership for Youth & Family Wellbeing is for African American students who are experiencing academic crises.  An academic crisis can include things like skipping school, failing classes, frequent detentions, receiving suspensions, frequent visits to the office or a time-out area, receiving academic and other school services in the home or an alternative setting, transitioning back to school from residential treatment, etc.  

Adult Mental Health

We provide connections to services and resources that will put you on a path to healing. Contact us for help in crisis, to get an assessment, or to access ongoing mental health or chemical health services. 

24/7 crisis services

If you or someone you know is in a mental health crisis, call the 24/7/365 crisis line at 651-266-7900.

Walk-in crisis services are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health.

The Detox Center is located in the 402 University Avenue East building. Staff can be reached at 651-266-4009.

Mental Health Center

Ramsey County’s Mental Health Center is located at 1919 University Ave. W., Suite 200, Saint Paul and offers short-term and on-going mental health services. The Mental Health Center is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and closed weekends and county holidays.

Welcome Center

The Mental Health Center’s Welcome Center offers walk-in, short-term and referral services for individuals affected by mental illness or substance abuse issues. Staff provide intake services to help people access mental health and chemical addiction services provided by the county and other community organizations.

To make an appointment at the Welcome Center, call: 651-266-7890 (Walk-ins are welcome.)

Ramsey County also provides the following on-going services at the Mental Health Center:


Service fees at the Mental Health Center are charged on a sliding scale based on family size and income.

Chemical Health Services

Ramsey County Chemical Health provides drug and alcohol assessments for Ramsey County residents and refers people who are chemically dependent to treatment or connects them to other community programs. Assessments are completed by partners throughout the community. Individuals can choose between the Rule 25 Assessment or Rule 24 Direct Access.

Rule 25 Assessment  

Rule 25 assessments are used to determine if an individual needs alcohol or drug treatment.

Rule 25 assessments are available for Ramsey County residents who do not have health insurance, those who are on Medical Assistance (MA) and individuals on Medicare who meet income guidelines. If you have health insurance through your workplace or a Prepaid Medical Assistance Program (P-MAP) health insurance, please call the phone number on the back of your insurance card for assistance.

Rule 25 assessments are completed by community partners. Same day or next day appointments may be available. To schedule a Rule 25 Assessment, please call 651-266-4008.

Please note that the Rule 25 process is ending on June 30, 2022. After this date, the county will no longer provide chemical health assessments and will only determine eligibility for substance use disorder funding assistance. Direct Access will be the only way to access substance use disorder services starting on July 1, 2022.

Rule 24 Direct Access

Direct Access is financial assistance that can be used to help residents pay for substance use disorder services. Direct Access focuses on individual choice and reduces barriers to obtain substance use disorder services.

Residents and providers can apply for Direct Access by emailing a completed Rule 24 Eligibility Application, proof of residency and income verification to [email protected] or faxing to 651-266-4435.

Community chemical health providers can contact the placement team on behalf of a resident by filling out an External Release of Information Form and faxing it to our team at 651-266-4435. We cannot disclose any information after an applicant has been approved or denied for funding.

If you would like more information about Direct Access, please visit DHS Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Services website.

Detoxification and Withdrawal Management

Ramsey County Detoxification/ Withdrawal Management Program (RCWMP) provides substance withdrawal management services to people in need of detoxification. We also provide assessments, interventions and referrals to aftercare services.

RCWMP services address the unique medical and cultural needs of each patient, including translation services and meeting dietary needs. We encourage all patients to remain in care for as long as necessary and enter recommended programs for `ongoing recovery.

Services will not be denied if a resident is unable to pay.

The Detox Center is located in the 402 University Avenue East building. Staff can be reached at 651-266-4009.

Back to tab navigation. End of tab content.